2006-06-04

Certainty and doubt


Is it possible to know and doubt simultaneously?

The vast number of men are caught somewhere between a consistent sceptical doubt and that which is certain. A few fortunate holy ones seem to attain to that level of 'comforting', undoubtable knowing. Most do not completely despair, but get caught somewhere above epistemological despondency; many of these learn to accept the knowledge of ethics, logic and aesthetics as ambiguious, as 'relative'. This notion comforts some men as it makes no one better or worse than another.

On the other side of the question are those who are comforted by thinking they know with certainty. Asked for a proof and they will reply with an appeal. But no appeal leads one to certainty. To be sure one requires a logical proof or a direct experience. Since all appeals are usually a pointer to one of these, the appeal is held by trust or belief; neither of which are undoubtable.

Again, regarding matters of tradition and faith, is it possible to know and doubt simultaneously?

Take the notion of friendship. My priest taught me that Christ's teaching on what it is to be a friend is a hard truth. At John 15:13, the full implications of friendship are made clear; a willingness to lay down one's life for another is the standard of friendship. Now I accept this as true. That is I know it to be so because I trust it is stated by Truth itself. Yet all of us who accept this idea of friendship can also entertain the idea that our trusted belief is capable of being doubted, even though we know it is the true doctrine of friendship.


Hence, I would suggest it is possible to know and doubt simultaneously. According to Hegel, that is what knowing in the fullest possible sense really is. How comforting is that? hehe.

2 comments:

Kassianni said...

"Forgiving your enemies is the easy part. The hard work is in forgiving those you trusted to care for you, those precious few you believed would keep your interests in mind, the one person you thought would never do that to you. Forgiving those you love is not something you do once, like a ceremony. It’s required of you, in some form, every single day."
po bronson

Gabe Lanteigne said...

I used to think doubt was an excellent vehicle to seek the truth. That was in my youthful, energetic, seeking days. Anytime I would doubt, I would not sleep until there was resolve. As time goes on & I grow slower, lazier, less spiritual, I come to hate doubt. Maybe it's a bit of "the more you know, the less you know" kinda thing but I find no comfort anymore in seeking out truth & finding good, solid answers for the questions I have. I find that nobody has new ideas that ease my mind. But then again maybe it's that my sloth has not only overtaken my will to seek out resolve when I doubt but it has also overtaken my ability to give a care if I do doubt. It's just easier after all these years, to continue on the path of belief.