2006-07-16

Hannah and Luke to Oliver; Manasseh and Liturgical Memories

My priest once taught me that the name "Manasseh" is derived from a causative form of the verb "to forget". Hence, 'to cause to forget.' Manasseh causes Judah to forget by liturgical change - rebuilding high places, erecting altars and Asherahs, and so on. Memory is nourished by the repetition and familiarity of a liturgy; forgetfulness by liturgical perversion and frequent alteration.

This merits further thought. But another time.

In other news, my son and daughter have gone to sunny Oliver for the next 10 days. I will miss them. Sadly the truth is that they seemed quite pleased to be leaving! I guess I will never be a 'buddy' to my kids or someone they look forward to seeing. Nevertheless, I hope they have a fun and joyful time around the pool! Ramone and I will drive to Oliver in 10 days and spend 4 days visiting; it is my hope to do some wine tours and ride our bicycles while there in the hot arid climate.

1 comment:

Kassianni said...

good luck with the visit. you are a brave soul, aren't you?
the bike should come in handy.