2006-10-04

41

So I will turn 41 on Friday if I make it to Friday. Why do I have this photo of my old roommate posted? Well I thought some of my younger readers might be interested in what I was up to 20 years ago when I was half my age. Well, 20 years ago EXPO 86 was going on and I was living in the Westend of Vancouver; and Vancouver was an entertainment Mecca. The local Vancouver music scene was full of cool young bands: Slow, No Means No, DOA, 54-40, and the Grapes of Wrath were among the finest up and coming bands anywhere. In January of 1986 I started rooming with a member of the Grapes of Wrath named Tom Hooper. Living with a guy in a successful rock band had its upside.

Can you say girls? Free concerts and girls, sunshine and suds, music and dancing girls; truly I tried to find meaning through pleasure! I worked hard at it; very hard. Tom Hooper and I lived together until September in 1986. Then Tom and I parted ways, and I have not had contact with him since; I went back to University to pursue truth, beauty and goodness, while he continued the high life. From that time on, I looked for more purposefulness in life than in only an unding series of unsatisfying, monotonous pleasures without any aim other than the pleasures themselves.

6 comments:

Matthew Francis said...

Many years to you Thomas! Happy Birthday. That's really something that you lived with Tom Hooper. I loved the Grapes of Wrather... and also Ginger, which grew out of the Grapes as they were crushed and became a new vintage. I still have a few of their cds. I love that song that goes "let me see through all the lies..."

I used to always see Tom Hooper walking around in Vancouver, almost every time I was in the city. Strange.

Hard to believe Expo was 20 years ago!

Peace.

Mr. P said...

a belated many years!

Kassianni said...

cool photo. i remember the grapes of wrath.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Happy Birthday Thomas, albeit a bit late! :-) Just to let you know I posted my latest icon online for you. I hope you like it!

James said...

An even more belated many years, Mr. W.

This may not make sense in the morning. 41 is an appropriate number on the subject of changing one's behaviour. x^2 + x + 41 is prime for integral values of x up to 39, then repents of its ways!

James said...

I don't think it makes sense even a minute later.