2006-09-02

What is the beverage of manly men?


Scotch, wine, ale or water? Something else like tea or coffee? Is it situational? Identify the manly beverage in your life accordingly.

Water is life-giving. I drink volumes of my Wa2! filtered water daily. Wine is a delight to consume with friends or when I sit and relax with my wife. Coffee is a morning experience, whereas tea is a soothing evening beverage.

In other news, the Scrivener pointed out this very interesting article, composed by Fr. Thomas Hopko. The intent is to outline certain changes that would be needful for a reunion to happen between the Roman Apostolic See and the Orthodox.

I recommend a glass of merlot while you read it.

In yet other news, I rode my cycle to work today. Truly it was a minor, though important, achievement for me. I am thankful to Christ for the strength I have been given. I have had to do a lot of cooperating with Him to gain any slight edge. With fortitude I hope to get the synergy raging full-on! Perhaps someday I will climb up to the summit of Mnt. Baker to see further glory:)

8 comments:

Kassianni said...

coffee in the morning, green tea in the evening (or earl grey with cream and sugar)
orange juice is yummy.
wine for winter. actually, for most of the year.
I only drink beer when the weather is warm.

Gabe Lanteigne said...

Beer & only beer. Possibly a scotch on the rocks on occasion. Can you imagine trying to kick some ass with a cup of hot green tea in your hand? Come on Vic, he asked what was the "Manly man drink", not "What goes well with a light sushi dinner?"

Matthew Francis said...

Coffee first thing.

Other times, Guinness, Belgian beers or Single malt Scotch, neat, for me please.

The mixed drink category can onlyy be pulled off by authentically manly men - James Bond with Martinis, Cary Grant with pretty much anything; Canadians like Kurt with his rye and Cokes.
Only 'the Dude,' or other Dudes (such as Mr. Lanteigne, Pasivirta, or myself) can occasionally handle White Russians - or, as I prefer - "Caucasians" and get away with it.

Amy said...

Pretty much anything not pink, eh?! I guess those little umbrellas wouldn't help with the manly man image either.

Gina said...

You are forgetting hot chocolate! :)

Matthew Francis said...

Then again, there's nothing like moonshine from your own still.

Mr. P said...

ah yes, I do enjoy presbyterian holy water, the single malt will do. neat, a drop of water either way.

and a good dark ale, something with molasses and oatmeal. something stout perhaps.

and espresso straight up.

but water is necessary for big bike rides and any other intense manly activity like snowboarding. indeed.

Ochlophobist said...

Irish whisky when lifting weights, in order to stay hydrated. Single malt Scotch when drinking seriously. I don't consider beer consumption to be an act of drinking. It is more akin to breathing, something one does merely to remain a man; I think that the muscular function involved in beer drinking is largely involuntary.