2006-08-23

Like minds

I saw this flick yesterday, and thought it was clever; the plot was well thought out. The representation of the history of the Cathars and the statement attributed to the Bishop of Rome are a little inaccurate; the Pope did not say it, it was another Bishop who did; and the Cathars are not portrayed as the matter-hating Gnostic heretics that they were. But these two things are minor quibbles, not affecting the plot. Toni Collette delivered a strong performance as did others in the cast.

I am usually quite successful in figuring out how the characters will develop in a mystery and what will happen with the denouement, but this plot fooled me a little. Not a great flick but worth seeing if you enjoy untwisting murder mysteries.

In other news, I am getting mentally prepared to return to work. My friend Danike and I are going to go on a hike (and flyfish at high altitude) this coming Monday; after that trip my summer will be over.

Soon the daily grind will be my reality. However, this year I will cycle part way to work roughly three days per week; not only will this keep me slim and übersecki, but also I hope it will be a fine way to commune with God and pray. "O God keep the cars off me."

No comments: