2006-08-14

note regarding humour


This point needs to be added to my last post; I can't believe I forgot to state it originally. For humour is essential to my spiritual walk.

As God laughs at the foolishness of men (Ps. 2:4); so, too, I think it is healthy for us to laugh at ourselves. Consider that Satan fell in part because of his “gravity” (i.e. he took himself too seriously). We need to be able to recognize our shortcomings, bad habits and our sins by calling them by name. We need to laugh at them in order to be able to move past them. A good sense of self-depreciating humour can help to develop humility. As Our Lord stated, "be of good cheer," through all things. Note the allusion to St. John Chrysostom.

2 comments:

James said...

Satanic gravity is an interesting idea. I think when my shortcomings are seen for what they are, you can't help but laugh. My poor wife, she has to laugh in her sleep just to let it all out.

There's a story about a prayerful and devout monk who's teased by demons in order to provoke him.

A number of them carry a stick with a feather in the air to where he sits, and he laughs at the ridiculous sight. Look, we've made the old man laugh, they say.

The monk replies, I'm laughing at your powerlessness, because it takes so many of you to carry a twig!

Kassianni said...

good post.
laughter is essential to my well being as all who know me well know...:)