2007-03-15

buddies

Ramone has a solid relationship with our kids. The snapshot I took of her and our son shows two buddies having a chuckle. Luke's a big guy; just look at his 11 year old hands and size 9 feet for proof. He is now the same height as Ramone; I think in the photo Ramone had shoes on and Luke didn't. I am glad Ramone has a good relationship with Hannah and Luke. Sadly my relationship with Hannah and Luke is very much that of an enforcer; sometimes I think they see me as the angry, frustrated Dad. Well, that is partially true. There are a few important things that portrait misses though. But this entry isn't about my relationship with our kids. I intend to give thanks here for the deep, friendly and caring relationship that Ramone has developed with our kids. Ramone is not a flamboyant person, so her appeal to our kids is not based on how cool she is. Rather it is based on her geniune care for -- and interest in -- their daily activities and lives. Almost every evening Ramone goes and talks about the day's events with the kids while they are getting ready for bed; she takes an interest in their TV show; she talks to them about their friends. I am so glad that Ramone can do these things with such love and sincerity; and our kids know they can trust in her to be this way.

Though I have entitled this entry "buddies", I should emphasize that Ramone is not viewed as a 'friend' by our kids; she is still very much an authority figure to them. I wish I could find a way to be more like Ramone is as a parent while still being me.

Some of you might be interested in browsing Luke's new blog.