2007-03-22

Things around me

Often I get email requests to post about things I photograph. So this post will be about the miscellaneous things around me that I shoot.

This first snapshot is of some gerberas that Ramone has a fondness for. I used a 13cm focal length lens to zoom in on the flower heads; I am rather satisfied with the composition. These flowers are currently gracing our kitchen island.

This second snapshot is of my favourite subject, the old apple tree bordering the patio in my backyard. This is a close up of the trunk. I am fascinated endlessly by this tree. From different angles, in different light and weather conditions, etc., this tree has so many faces, as do most trees. There is a good reason the Psalmist claims that even trees sing of God's glory, and this may well be why great minds like Tolkein's have seen trees as having characteristics such as wisdom and serenity. If you look hard enough into the depth of field bokeh in this shot, you can just make out the Ent-like face that this tree possesses. If I were naming this face, I would call him 'Norbert', as he seems rather too stodgy; of course the irony is that I find Norbert fascinating.



This next shot is of a row of well-tended garlic sprouts. The eldery gentleman lives alongside Nathan Creek, a small tributary of the mighty Fraser R., and he takes very diligent care of his little garden. He has 40 year old bamboo trees shading his property from harsh wind and blistering summer sunshine.



What would a post like this be without a snapshot of my husky, Echo? It has been terribly rainy these last three weeks, but two days ago I went out walking in the glorious sunshine on a dyke beside the Fraser R. and took this picture of Echo after he had been in Nathan Creek chasing a blue heron to no avail. Sometime I hope to get a good snapshot of a blue heron.

All of these shots were take on my Leica M3 and 50mm Summicron lens with 400ISO film. I had them developed and scanned to a CD for me at London Drugs.

4 comments:

RW said...

Your photos are getting much better Thomas - I am glad you are taking delight in this new activity

Hannah said...

I'm going to miss Echo.

thomasw said...

where are you going Hannah? are you running away sometime soon?

Kassianni said...

the daisies are such a good shot!