2005-10-19

The Strike....out.

I am a public school teacher of grades 8-12 in British Columbia. As a corollary, this means I am forced to be a BCTF member and pay dues and follow the union's rulings. I have no other option if I wish to teach in the public school system in BC. If I were not so greedy I could take a job in a private school and give up more of my time and earning potential. Neither of these aspects appeal to me at all. Yet I do not like the union I have to work in; it is a compromise I have had to agree to. It is one decision I do sometimes regret. As of Oct.7th, I have been on strike. And this strike hurts us a lot; to some extent, I have lost my sense of the purposefulness of this strike. I think it is time for me to use this situation to focus my trust on Christ my God; for in theory I know I should just trust in Him as do the 'lilies of the field', but in practice it is not so easy to just trust a Being you can't see or directly experience. Oh, I know some will say that they do have direct experience of the manly man giving them the-what-is-up. And that must be so pleasant for those of you who do get such manly experiences. But I don't get them; when it comes to spiritual experiences, I am like a dry and weary land where no water is. But back to the issue: the strike and my trust in the Unknown God, Jesus. Should I cross the picket line and risk being blackballed for the remaining 18 years of my professional life? I think I will hold out until Monday, October 24th.

4 comments:

thomasw said...

in fact i will hold on until tuesday....

RW said...

right you are - tuesday will be the day.

Kassianni said...

My in-laws went to the protest in Victoria on monday. They were much inspired. More rejuvinated by the controversy and solidarity of it all than I've seen in a while. Makes me wonder what's going to keep them going after they're truly and completely retired? It's so strange to me when people make their work lives their social lives. But I speak from the luxury of belonging to a truly wonderful and unique Christian community.
I want this strike to end. And in the teacher's favor (and not just because I aspire to your rank! I just hate the thought of the Liberals succeeding in their albertan-break-the-union bullying!).
“I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.”
Be strong. It's not life changing, but it's important.

Matthew Francis said...

God be with you in the crazyness of this strike!