2006-01-13

Cartography, an exacting art?

Try clicking on this old map of France, which shows the ecclesiastical boundaries in effect between 1789 to 1802. I enjoy examining maps. Though I am unsure why, exactly, but I suspect it because there is so much that can inferred from a visual cue. I am not sure whether cartography is a science or an 'exacting art', or whether this is mere quibbling about terms and equivocating. Yet, whatever may be said about cartography, I do find that an understanding of the lay of a land to be most interesting and helps to illuminate the life of a community or nation.

3 comments:

Kassianni said...

I don't know if you've ever tried this, but it's kinda funny.
Go to Google, type in "French Military Victories" then hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

thomasw said...

hehe, well that is funny, vic, especially for me with my prussian background :p

Donna Farley said...

I am nuts about maps of all kinds. Just last week at the Langley Save-On Foods, of all places, I picked up a deep discounted copy of Mercator: the Man who Mapped the Planet, by Nicholas Crane. I have read one of Crane's previous books, Two Degrees West, which I loved; so spotting a hardcover book for 9.99, by this author, on this subject was just a triple treat...I've only begun to enjoy reading it.