2006-01-10

See Kong!


Perhaps not a little kid's flick, yet it is one of the best adventure movies I have seen in a while. The plot is well known and it keeps you riveted throughout this sad tragedy about exploitation on a few different levels.

The CGI battle scenes of Kong fighting the Tyrannosaurus Rex are worth the cost of admission. In fact, I think I will see Kong kick some more sorry T-Rex butt around again before this feature moves out of the big screen theatre in my town. Watching it on my tiny TV screen on DVD just won't cut it.

Another aspect to this movie that I should mention is the very fine acting by Naomi Watts. Her portrayal of her character was consistent and showed a wide range. For me, when Watts entertained Kong with some humorous antics, she was drawing out every part of her character's background and resourcefulness. Not only was Watts funny though; she was also quite sincere and loyal. It is my view that when good characters are portrayed as such in a movie, this is both useful and inspiring for a viewer. Hence I applaud this aspect of the acting and, as a corollary, the script writing.

So go see Kong jump and swing and battle harmful, horrifying creatures.....Oh yeah, arrrrgggh! it is a manly man's film tender enough even to make a sweet lady like my wife feel the inevitable tragedy of Kong's end. For you see, Kong dies out of love and loyality. Even one manly as I was moved...so go see Kong!

5 comments:

Kassianni said...

looks scary. mabye we'll see it this friday. kurt and I need a night out.

Stacy said...

Did you just give away the ending?!!!

Thomas!!! Ugh!

***

What is it about men that makes them appreciate things like the size of the viewing screen? I know women that will have a general impression about such things that is probably more socially trained than anything else, but many men actually have strong thoughts on the size of the viewing screen. It's as though a crap movie could be made better with a big screen and great movie could be made bad with a small screen.

What gives?

thomasw said...

hehe, well what gives??? not sure but it may have something to do with the fact that the visuals just look better on a large screen with high definition:P

Jenny said...

It was indeed a most excellent, moving and satisfying film. I liked the idea of Annie as a vaudeville performer (probably because in another life I could easily have ended up as one and it was nice to see an otherwise elegant female performing stunts like that. . .) and I loved Naomi Watts generally. I think she is quite a person of substance and I look forward to seeing a bunch more of her work, especially "Ellie Parker" in which she plays a struggling actress -- I think she wrote it too -- semi autobiographical, pre-Kong of course!

Jenny said...

Oops! I didn't mean to suggest I was an elegant female (reading over last post) -- just that when I am, for example, juggling or playing ukulele I feel like an unfeminine dork at times and it was nice to see that it's not necessarily completely goofy for a woman of my general age to be seen doing such things. Though I might forego the Charlie Chaplin drag, however charmingly Naomi pulled it off. . .