2006-01-18

The Old Morris Tobbaco Shop


The Old Morris Tobbaco shop was established in 1892 on its present site and is one of British Columbia's finest examples of how a shop should be set up. I love to enter Old Morris and let my nose wander.

As you enter the shop, you can glance overhead at the fine examples of leaded glass in the domed entrance and the Alabaster arch and pillars framing the doorway. Though, beyond all other sensory input, your mind can not but focus on the fragrant tobbaco scents wafting through the air. Aaaahh, such a sure sign of God's goodness, much as chocolate or coffee or fresh cinnamon buns.


In 1910, the interior of the store was remodeled, with mahogany fixtures, mirrors and a walk in humidor were added. These fixtures add a definite sense of time and place to the shop.

The Alabaster cigar lighter that stands in the center of the floor is delightful and full of deep magic. You can purchase all manner of cigars and pipe tobbaco from Old Morris. For Pascha and at Christ's Nativity, I often buy my 'mild and mello' blend online. I must add that it is smashing in a hobbit pipe with a little bit of wine or scotch! So fine, indeed; a texture like sun.

2 comments:

Kassianni said...

you make me want to buy me-self a pipe, yellow teeth be damned!:)

James said...

This reminded me of Benjamin Franklin's line that "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

The Scratch family has a tradition of smoking cigars on Pascha. My relatives were nonplussed to see the picture of me on the Night of Nights with an (unsmoked) "cigaretto" to my lips. ("Tradition, James, tradition. Just do it.")