2005-11-19

Extremely holy


My friend Seraphim painted this for my wife and I. This image of the Mother of Christ has held me in a charmed state since I first stumbled upon it in my second year at UBC. I was just a punk back then, but it seemed so, so...well, I couldn't find the word to describe it at my tender, foolish age. Now I would just call it holy; in the sense of being set apart for God.

Some of us just don't comprehend holiness; and I think it has to do with vile idols; i.e, in the sense of turning vile by desiring that which is but a vile idol. I understand a sliver of that which is holy, but I do not escape the battle against a few vile idols in my life.

With Dylan Thomas, I say, "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."; and smash that which is vile.

///end of rant:it felt grand to get the word 'smash' in there:P

1 comment:

RW said...

I am so grateful to Seraphim for painting this image for us. She sanctifies our house.