2005-11-11

mittens and socializing


i am on the grad social committee for the current gr.11 kids at my school. what this means, i do not quite know. but for certain i will be able to put all my superb socializing skills to work....Oh yeah, baby, let me loose at those parties where i can just work the room, chatting up a storm about meaningless drivel with people i hardly know: i dig that, being the elite, manly socializer that i am. ah the sarcasm. the truth is the reverse; usually i find other people to be tedious and draining. i have a struggle remembering and even pronouncing other people's names, especially if the name is ethnic or unusual or just weird. to me socializing is like trying to sing; i know i am so limited in my skills, and there is a point at which the challenge and comfort level goes way, way above my head: and i freeze and need to step away and hide. getting away from the social scene is for the most part what i am thinking about. i have no idea why the students would want me to be the sponsor; the only part i look forward to is the idea of going skiing or snowboarding for a day with just the grads. this reminds me that i need some good mittens for snowboarding this winter. mittens are macho and manly; don't be deceived.

looking forward to seeing dave's new castle. hanging out with krut and vic is one of the tender mercies for me in this life. i wonder what the homily will be like this sunday, it is always difficult for me when fr.lawrence isn't delivering the homily. but this is probably a good spiritual exercise for me....i write 'probably' because i am not sure what i am supposed to gain out of not having fr.lawrence deliver the goods.

1 comment:

thomasw said...

btw, dave has a very groovy new castle. i am so happy for him and his family, as dave has wanted to this for quite some time.

i find dave to be a serious spiritual warrior. what i mean is that he is a man of conscience and he fights against unruly passions with unwavering resiliency.