2005-11-29

Grief

This picture so clearly shows sorrow at a loss. Seraphim's painting is sublime, but not beautiful. The rich textures, the deep lines and wrinkles all convey a sense of grief at the loss of a loved one. I believe Seraphim painted this work based on a photo taken at St.Peter's after the passing of Pope John Paul II had been announced. Her sense of loss is all but consuming, except for the gloss on her eyes. In these one can sense a glimmer of hope in the flash of light they emit. My father has had to go into the hospital tonight because of his heart; his doctor thinks he had a mild heart attack. If my father were to die, I would grieve his loss. I am praying he will be fine, so that I do not have to lament and grieve. At least he has been blessed as described in Psalm 128:6. To quote Leithart quoting yet another, "I think my liver is diseased."

3 comments:

Mr. P said...

lord have mercy

Kassianni said...

What is your dad's name?
We will be praying much for him!

thomasw said...

Garfield Ludwig