2005-11-02

Orr




There has never been a better defenseman. I still remember this moment in 1970 when Bobby Orr scored the winning goal in the last game of the Stanley Cup that year. Furthermore, I recall getting Orr's hockey card at the Dairy Dale Grocery on Dunbar between 27th and 26th Avenue with my first ever 'allowance' of 10 cents. Man, that was a manly joy for a little guy. I rode my tippy two wheeler home to show it off to my father and my friend Roger. I foolishly traded it to Roger for a Bjore Salming card, a Toronto Maple Leaf defenseman wearing number 5. I know now that was a very bad move, but weird things happen to 5 year olds when left to trade hockey cards with their eight year old next door neighbours. I did eventually obtain a 1965 Orr rookie card; today I wish I still had all my old hockey cards. But I don't miss the stale, hard gum that came in the packs.

Glad the canuckleheads won tonight; I predict Cloutier will lose his job, or at the very least, that Auld will be playing more and more of the games. Auld reminds me of Dryden. But Orr is the manliest defenseman ever: accept no substitute in this.

I have to deal with a lame matter on Friday after work and all day next Wednesday; I have to trust in Christ in this matter and hope to be strong and honorable.