2005-11-06

ibooks > ibm clones


i am going to buy my wife a laptop for church record-keeping. the lame thing is it won't be an ibook, but some sort of ibm clone with bill gate's software pre-installed. i really dislike windows as an OS. the ibm clones are nowhere as tough or aesthetically pleasing as the apple laptops; and to top it off, the OS is ultra-insecure compared to os x or any bsd. but fortunately a buddy of mine, dave, is spotting me an old pc which i can use as a firewall: i will put OpenBSD on that puppy and let puffy the blowfish keep my wireless network somewhat secure. still i really dislike wasting money on llama semi-adequate pc hardware. if it were a real ibm x40, then i'd be singing another song. enough of this rant...off to costco tomorrow evening.

i am getting very excited about snowboarding this winter! there is a snowboard-equipment buy/sell at the tradex centre in abbotsford this coming weekend; we will attend it.

for christmas i hope my wife gets me that nikon d100 digital slr i have been desiring for the last five years or so. or, an ipod nano; that would be groovy. or some really good wool socks from aj brooks. {i think i will end up with the socks...}


on the other hand, i don't really want anything other than some time with my friends and family: and not having to work the next day! i do enjoy the time off during christmas immensely. my bio-rhythmns are so tuned to the academic calendar; each month has a certain feel and is understood in relation to the next reporting period or break.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

pleeeeeeeeasssssssse can I have a laptop to? eh eh?

thomasw said...

we will see, bohannahas....

Kassianni said...

can i have one too?
can i?
can i?

Mr. P said...

let me just commend you all on your ability to recognize Apple's superiority to that other brand.

I type this from my ibook, and it is solid. I am completely in debt for it, but it has served me well,

it is too bad that it will not be a mac for R, but perhaps one day someone will donate one.

speaking of which, it just occurred to me that I have a G3 desktop here, that I could possibly donate to the church for a while for that purpose, but it is a G3, only six gigs of space currently...

and I won't be back until December 16th ish...

thomasw said...

well, david, if you don't need it, i'd be happy to take it off of your hands. it would be very useful around here.

let me know whether you were serious or not.

respectfully, thomasw.

Mr. P said...

Hey Thomas,

its all yours as soon as it travels across the country.
It would be a tragedy to suffer the ills of microsoft, while another member of the body has two warm coats. er...two warm macs. anyways, yup. serious.

if you want more info, find the email link on my blog, or I think its in the church directory.

Kassianni said...

wow, hey the church could really use a laptop, for library stuff, accounting stuff, etc.

Kassianni said...

or desktop, whatever the case may be...
i think phil had an old pc too, or somebody did, but it turned out to be waaay too old to be useful.

kimberley francis said...

t, i like how you use llamma for lame. how many mmms in llama?

anyway... i met this llama breeder (and his of his 40 pet llamas, via his plastic wallet bragbook) about 15 years ago, while working the front desk at the Rainbow Motor Inn in Chilliwack. He was sizing up the property for a llama CONvenTION.

The fun thing about Vern Drader the llama salesman, is that he very much looked like a llama himself. He had big bugaboo sunglasses and a sizeable gap between his two front chompers.
He had not only a regular mustache and beard but a sort of "turtleneck beard ensemble" happening. And he was a big grinner in a nonchalant way.

I remember thinking, "well there's no way the owner of this place is going to go for llama's walking around this place, but curiously i couldn't take my eyes off Vern. I was mezmorized by the uncanny likeness to his wooly friends.

Sure enough, my conservative boss opted for the "happy tapper" festival over the llama convention, but I will never forget Vern Drader, for as long as i live.